We are planning to cycle around the coast of the UK carrying everything we need in panniers. We have initially planned a 50km daily distance rule as I am not really a cyclist (although I can ride a bike!) and to be honest I am quite intimidated by the proposed plan - but also quite excited.
I have decided to write a regular blog to record the ups and downs of this journey from the perspective of a reasonably active 52 year old woman who can't have a sprocket conversation with anyone but wants to give cycling a go!
I am raising money for Cancer Research UK



Wednesday 4 March 2015

Departure day arrives.....

Actually it was a relief when departure day finally arrived. No more worrying about what to take, if I would cope physically or whether I would enjoy the journey. It was sunny when we cycled away from our house, bikes loaded with panniers and the journey around the coast of the UK ahead of us. 


I wanted to leave several days before my first cycling post so that I had a few kilometres under my wheels, and it would be easier to give a balanced account of how things are going. It is true to say that I still feel like someone dressed up as a cyclist, but who isn't a 'real' one yet! I am happy to have experienced lashing rain in my face (only for about 30 minutes), a bit of sleet, and some nasty busy roads with cement lorries and skip trucks thundering by - because this means that I know I can deal with these eventualities. Best of all I have already had to push my bike up a couple of hills - so am not burdened by the 'never had to get off my bike' pressure that would get worse the more days of the journey that I had completed.



I have, however, had a nice time so far, seen some amazing sights, stayed in some great B&Bs and met really friendly people. My thighs and bottom are suffering a bit from the fact that I did no cycling preparation what-so-ever, but I am coping well so far!