We are planning to cycle around the coast of the UK carrying everything we need in panniers. We have initially planned a 50km daily distance rule as I am not really a cyclist (although I can ride a bike!) and to be honest I am quite intimidated by the proposed plan - but also quite excited.
I have decided to write a regular blog to record the ups and downs of this journey from the perspective of a reasonably active 52 year old woman who can't have a sprocket conversation with anyone but wants to give cycling a go!
I am raising money for Cancer Research UK



Wednesday 11 March 2015

Rain and the wonders of waterproof clothing

I suppose, given that it is early March and we are in Wales, that it was not going to be long before the first totally wet day. Cycling off after breakfast already wearing full waterproofs - trousers, jacket, gloves, and shoe covers (so your socks and feet don't get soaked from road spray) is a bit demoralising, especially given the Welsh hills. I find cycling in wet cold weather much, much harder than when it is dry - the rain drips down your face, your nose constantly runs and I feel like the embodiment of dejection. 



On our first wet cycling day we arrived at our B&B very bedraggled, leg weary, and a bit shaken because worn brakes don't work that well in a torrential downpour! Amazingly only my merino top was damp (although I remained pretty warm), and my legs and feet were dry-ish.  Hot tea and Welsh cakes, a hot bath, and dry clothes soon revived us. The next morning Nick fitted new brake blocks, and after we had eaten an enormous breakfast of fruit, cereal, yogurt, toast and sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, with juice and coffee - the idea of cycling seemed more sensible again. The sun was shining, it was warm, snowdrops and primroses were by the roadside, and it was a joy to be out and about.
When people say 'there's no such thing as bad weather, there's just inappropriate clothing...' I take their point - but I do have to say that cycling for 5 hours in lashing rain is quite bad!!